It's easy to get caught up in the day-to-day activities and forget the importance of keeping your family active.
And while Netflix and other streaming distractions have their place, it’s vital for parents and children alike to get moving, to release pentup energy and benefit the health of everyone. Plus it’s also a great way for parents and kids to spend quality time together.
Here's some fun ideas to keep the whole family entertained.
1. Host Your Own Backyard (or Indoor) Olympics
If you’re lucky enough to have a backyard, you can make the most of it by creating your own home Olympics. If not, many of the activities below can be done inside – using a hallway or spare room, for example.
Some hybrid ‘sports’ to add to your Olympics include:
- Tenpin bowling. Instead of pins, you can half-fill used juice or milk bottles with water. Plastic is best, but glass is OK as long as the bowling 'ball' is soft. You could soccer, basketball or netball balls as bowling balls. This sport also works well in a hallway (just watch for fragile picture frames if anyone has bad aiming)!
- Backyard cricket. No explanation necessary. Traditional rules apply, such as six and out, and one-hand one bounce. If the ball goes into the neighbour's backyard, perhaps give them a quick call instead of popping around.
- Keepy uppy. Ideally done with a round ball (e.g. netball or soccer ball), you can also use an oval-shaped ball (e.g football or rugby) for higher difficulty - perhaps even create a two-stage event. It involves juggling a ball with your feet, trying to 'keep it up' and avoid hitting the ground for as long as possible. A balloon works well inside. It can also be used to 'encourage' your kids to clean up their toys.
Don’t forget, while you may be keeping score, you can participate too.
2. Dance Along to The Wiggles (or Any Music)
For parents that have seen Wiggles videos ad nauseum, you’ll know how active they are. While this one is suited to parents with younger children – it’s a great cardio workout, and not just for your kids, but for you too. While they’re getting a kick out of seeing mum and/or dad join in, you’re working up a sweat. So you’re not doing Hot Potato over and over again, take a look at this list of Wiggles ‘workout’ videos broken into body sections, such as a focus on arms or legs .
If you’ve had enough of The Wiggles, simply pop on some music from Virgin Active's Spotify playlist 'Songs to Dance to With Your Kids' and have a good ol’ loungeroom dance session.
3. Do a Yoga Session
Introducing kids to yoga can have a multitude of benefits, including teaching them to be more mindful and focused, as well as breathing techniques to manage stress. It’s also a great way for you to sharpen your yoga practice and get in a fun workout.
If you’re a bit of an aspiring yogi, feel free to run your own yoga ‘class’ with your kids. Otherwise, start with something a little more approachable, such as Calm or Align.
4. Workout (Online) Together
Virgin Active has taken many of their engaging workouts online. From Pilates to yoga, to Grid Training and Barre, you can get active with your children right from the comfort of your own living room. Most of these workouts are only 20 minutes long, so they’re great for kid’s (and adult's) shorter attention spans. And the beauty is, you don’t need a lot of space or exercise equipment to do them. For example, you can just roll out your yoga mat (a towel works fine too) and follow along on your iPad or laptop – just see where the 20 minutes takes you!
All Virgin Active online workouts are free for anyone and can be accessed through your MyLocker account or simply by signing up here. They even pair perfectly with our playlists on Spotify (just search Virgin Active Australia), so you and the kids can move to the music while working out together.
Get social and share a fun snap of you and your kid’s workout with us on Instagram – simply tag @virginactiveaustralia.
Interested to learn more about creative ways to stay active, for you and your kids? We can help connect you with a personal trainer to discuss your fitness goals and needs, online or in person. Talk to us today!