Being in lockdown for Covid-19 means you’re eating breakfast, lunch and dinner at home.
Unless you’re venturing out for a quick takeaway, or getting home delivery during the week, you’re probably getting bored of your own cooking.
So why not mix things up? Next time you go shopping, head to your local smaller markets, and pick up these pantry staples for healthy new recipes at home. Not only do these items give you the chance to have some fun in the kitchen, you also support small businesses that may be struggling during this time.
From the Asian Grocery
Why not try noodle soup or a different variety of curry?
- Noodles – Made from rice, egg and wheat… There are so many types to try.
- Soup bases – Simply pour into a pot and boil with your favourite protein and/or vegetables. Serve with noodles or rice.
- Japanese curry sauce mix – A good change-up from Thai. It usually comes in cubes, which you crumble over water, protein and vegetables.
- Togoarashi or furikake – Delicious Japanese spice mixes made of seaweed flakes, sesame seeds and chili powder for added flavour.
- Chilli oil and sesame oil – Fantastic additions to soy sauce in Chinese cooking.
From the Middle Eastern Grocery
Another night of pasta? Why not instead try a new style of homemade pizza?
- Pita bread – Unless you’re adventurous enough to make your own dough, these are a great option for pizza bases.
- Zaatar, dukkah or harrisa – Ready-made spice mixes, perfect for sprinkling on meals with your choice of protein and assorted vegetables (our favourites are pumpkin and eggplant).
- Green olives – Add them as a topping (or snack on them with a glass of wine!).
From the Spanish grocery
Instead of another night of meat and veg, how about try a spicy bean salad?
- Nopales – Strips of marinated cactus that you can buy in a jar. They provide an unusual and exciting accompaniment to your protein and greens.
- Jalapenos – Add these spicy peppers to any meal for punch.
- Smoked paprika – A must-have flavour that enhances almost anything.
- Black beans – The perfect protein for any Mexican or Spanish dish.
- Tapatio or Cholula – Popular hot sauces that make Tabasco look boring.
From the African Grocery
Instead of another night of chili con carne, why not try a Moroccan stew?
- Lentils or chickpeas – Available in a can. If you buy them dried, we suggest you soak them overnight, so they don’t take as long to cook on the stove.
- Cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom – A range of essential spices you can use in any tagine. Use them to marinate your choice of protein and vegetables, simmer, then serve with rice.
We hope these new ideas breathe life into your kitchen routine. If you’re still hungry for more ideas, consider spending that extra time you might have on your hands growing your own indoor edible garden, too.
For more articles that are good for the mind and body, nourish yourself now.
We’re Here to Help
During the time our clubs are closed, we have automatically frozen all memberships with no fee to pay until such time as Virgin Active clubs re-open.
Free Access to Online Workouts
We now offer free online workouts to keep you active and healthy. These online memberships are free to anyone. Little to no equipment required.
If you are currently a member with us, login to MyLocker and simply click on the ‘Online Workouts’ icon to start today.
New to us? Simply click here. When setting up your account, you’ll be asked to select your closest club – but don’t worry if a club near you is not listed, you can still access our free workouts, simply select any club.
Ready to take it to the next level? We’re now offering online coaching! Get support, accountability and tailored workouts just for you starting from $60 total for 4 weeks.If you are currently a member with us, login to MyLocker and simply click on the ‘Online Coaching’ icon to start today.
New to us? Sign up for a free online membership by clicking here. When setting up your account, you’ll be asked to select your closest club – but don’t worry if a club near you is not listed, simply select any club. You can still access our free workouts and sign up for online coaching, no matter which club you select. Once logged in, you can click on ‘online coaching’ icon to see your options and get started today!