Soy & sesame soba noodles
by Therese Spoon on Friday 11 March 2022
3 min read
The ultimate high-protein power lunch that’s equally deliciously served either hot or cold, and perfect to meal-prep for the week ahead!
Recipe serves 5
- 2 cups cooking sake
- 1 lemon- juiced, and halves reserved
- 3 garlic cloves- smashed & peeled
- 800g boneless chicken breast- sliced into even 4cm-wide strips
- 3-4 bundles of soba noodles (about 300g)
- 200g shiitake mushrooms- thinly sliced
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 bunch radish- sliced
- 2 stalks green onions- sliced
Soy & sesame dressing:
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 garlic clove- finely chopped
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp mirin
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- In a wide skillet, add 2 cups of water, 2 cups of cooking sake, the halved lemons (save the lemon juice for the dressing), the smashed garlic cloves, 2 tsp of salt, and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the chicken, lower the heat so that the water is very lightly simmering, and cover. Simmer until the chicken is opaque and cooked through- about 15 minutes, then transfer the chicken to a plate to cool. Shred the chicken with a fork and set aside.
- Bring the poaching liquid back to a rapid boil, then cook the soba noodles for 3 minutes. Immediately drain and rinse well in cold water.
- In a clean skillet, heat 2 tbsp of sesame oil over medium-high heat. Fry the sliced shiitake mushrooms for 3-5 minutes, or until slightly golden. Add the minced ginger and chopped garlic, and fry for a further minute until fragrant. Lower the heat and add the remaining ingredients for the dressing; 3 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp honey, 2 tsp miring, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds. Stir on medium heat until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the shredded chicken and soba noodles to the skillet, along with the edamame beans, sliced radish, and green onions. Toss until everything is combined and evenly coated. Transfer to serving plates or divide into lunch containers for the week ahead.
514 calories | 51.7g Carbs | 11.8g Fat | 57.6g Protein
Don’t forget, true health and fitness comes from many complimentary elements working in unison to help you be the best you can be. Our approach of full circle fitness and health is focused on helping you reach your goals with stamina, strength, stability and soul in mind. Book a tour with us today and discover how our range of classes can be the other health ‘must have’ in your life.
3 min read
What is matcha and how should you use it?
3 min read
How coffee pre-workout can boost performance
5 min read
Mental fatigue vs physical fatigue
Enjoying our blog?
Sign up to our newsletter to get updates on training, healthy living, news and events.